Thursday 29 July 2021

Gnoorea Point

a nice way to finish the day

 40 Mile Beach/Gnoorea Point is 65 km (about 40 miles in the old money – imaginative folk our pioneers) south of Karratha and is a very busy spot this time of year and rightly so with waterside camping with views and sunsets to die for, clean dunnies, bins, dump points and unlimited RO water (gold coin donation to the RFDS) at the nearby Devils Creek gas plant – all this for $92/week.




Whiting Queen

We were lucky to secure a large beachfront site so finally our little hound could wander freely without bothering others. We did have a few days which were a little windy but overall the weather was fantastic with 30C days and 16C nights – the perfect camping weather - swimming during the day and fire and pull up the doona at night!





After being here last year I came prepared for the long walks out onto the sand flats fishing the low tide for whiting and flathead. My new shoulder bag, back-pack, small landing net worked a treat and some of the days were diamonds with heaps of whiting and flatties and other days were not so good but 2-3 hours of walking in shin deep water watching the small sharks, stingrays, sea snakes, queenies, shovel nose sharks constantly swimming by wasn’t a bad day out.

crab eating people

On one of my unsuccessful fishing forays I was walking back to my car thru shallow water and came upon a large mud crab who was likewise walking the flats – straight into my landing net! To make good, better, as I walked up to my car I met a guy who was camping nearby – he taught me how to tie up a mud crab and better still gave me another crab he had sitting in his bucket – fresh crab for Linda and I that night – nice!



The two weeks we spent at Gnoorea Point were some of the best beach camping we have ever done and that’s a pretty big statement noting the beaches we have camped on over the years.

Heading off to another beach camp at Cleaverville for two weeks but will be back at 40 Mile for two more weeks before we head south in September.


Short video is HERE



















2 comments:

SHANE said...

It wasn't just raining down South, it was bloody cold as well! I'm especially jealous about the mud crabs. Take care love to you both.

Unknown said...

Nice place to stay you lucky lucky barsturds..bit far for me to go camping an fishing..still the snow will melt❄❄ and the trout will rise🐟..and I'm on it!! Love Budge🎣xx